Is your driving still up to IAM test standards?
Would you like to improve your driving standards? Well how about these ideas?
In addition to our ‘core-business’ of training new Associates to take their IAM advanced driving test, we’re keen all CAD Members know about the various opportunities they might consider to upgrade or maintain their driving skills, so here are some ideas and the associated costs:
- New Associates. The cost is £149 which includes: one year’s membership of IAM and CAD, course literature, a reasonable amount (normally a maximum of 10 on-road sessions) of advanced driving tuition with one of our trained and qualified Observers and then the IAM advanced driving test with an IAM Examiner. The different elements of the test are numerically scored by the Examiner and, if the top standard is reached can result in the award of a ‘First’ grade pass.
- Current Members of CAD (who have passed their IAM test and are also paid-up members of IAM) can take a voluntary re-assessment test with an IAM Examiner for just £39. Whilst the result does not invalidate the existing test pass, it opens the opportunity to achieve a higher test pass mark than before with the possibility of gaining the top award called a ‘First’.
- Becoming an IAM ‘Fellow’. This is open to IAM Members who’ve passed their test within the last 3 years. An entry re-test is taken at a cost of £39 provided the Member agrees to re-take their test every 3 years thereafter to maintain their ‘Fellowship’.
- Training to become a CAD locally qualified (LO) Observer. We are always looking for suitable Members to join our team of Observers. All new trainee Observers must hold a recent IAM test ‘First’ pass and, in addition, some previous experience of teaching, tutoring or mentoring is a useful asset. We initially meet with, but on a no-commitment basis either way, potentially interested Trainee Observers before we commence our training. Whilst there is no charge, once accepted, the phased training can be spread over several months. It’s a great way to maintain your own driving standards.
- Upgrading from a Local Observer (LO) to a National Observer (NO). Locally qualified Observers can upgrade their LO qualification to become NO qualified at no charge. The assessment is carried out by the Regional IAM Examiner. It comprises demonstrating a high personal driving standard, good commentary driving skills during a ‘demonstration’ drive about a specific aspect of driving and then separately giving an advanced driving lesson to an Associate on an aspect of driving, followed by a discussion with the Examiner about Highway Code and Roadcraft knowledge and various scenarios of Observing.
- IAM’s Master’s test. This is IAM’s highest driving award, so the standard needed is high. IAM offer a no-commitment trial or ‘taster’ session with a Master’s Mentor for £35. Currently the cost of the course (to current IAM members) is £299 which includes: 6 on road one-to-one tuition session (totalling about 12hrs) and the cost of the test (on unfamiliar roads and not in the West Country) with a Regional IAM Examiner. To maintain the Master’s standard, a re-test is required every 5 years at a cost of £149. For more information please contact Nick Fletcher on email@example.com