Now that spring is here, the sun is rising earlier and flowers blooming. However, being dazzled by the sun can be a major distraction and is often a factor in summer collisions.
Even though we have many tools that aid in protecting us from the glare, we often forget to use them. This week’s tips give advice on how to stay safe on the road with the glare of the sun on rampage, from IAM RoadSmart’s head of driving and riding standards Richard Gladman.
- Keep your windscreen clean both inside and out; a dirty screen will magnify the glare.
- On the outside check for chips or cracks, replace worn wiper blades and make sure your washer bottle is kept well topped up with good quality screen wash to help remove those summer bugs.
- Keep a cloth or chamois to wipe away the dirt that builds up on the inside
- Use your sun visor. It may sound pretty obvious but a surprising number of people forget.
- Invest in polarised sunglasses and remember to take a rest. Your eyes will strain quickly if you are squinting. Read our sunglasses tips for more information.
- If you are dazzled by the sun, slow down and leave extra space between yourself and the driver ahead. This will give you more time to regain full control and assess the situation.
- Remember that when the sun is low behind you, you might be able to see just fine, but oncoming drivers might not see you.